[linux-lvm] Re: LVM+e2label

Michael Marxmeier mike at msede.com
Wed Mar 8 02:21:04 UTC 2000

EXT / DEVOTEAM VAROQUI Christophe (ext.devoteam.varoqui at sncf.fr)
wrote:
> The mount command is able to mount filesystems naming them by their
> label instead of their device-name :
> Thus, you're free to move your disks over different targets, hosts,
> even free to insert a new host in your pci chain (feature that
> devfs doesn't provide)
>
> Question is :
> Are the lvm-tools able to create PV and VG naming partitions by
> label instead of device-names
> If not, is it planed to do so ?

You do not need it because LVM already should do this on its own.

vgscan scans all physical devices and creates its own map in
/etc/lvmtab. With LVM block devices have symbolic names
(/dev/vg00/lvol1) and the physical devices are discovered/associated
by their VGDA during vgscan. The physical address should not really
matter.

I did not actually try this but it should work.

Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software AG
E-Mail: mike at msede.com      Besenbruchstrasse 9