[linux-lvm] Error -154 can't get data from VG

Jos Visser josv at osp.nl
Tue Nov 14 06:59:10 UTC 2000

I guess that even when your / is in an LV, it still has to be (or most
probably will be) contiguous on the disk? This would mean that you
could handforge a partition table entry that maps exactly the root file
system. The size does not even matter (make it the rest of the disk),
as long as the start sector is allright. Such a partition table entry
would allow you to mount the /, even though it is in an LV.

If you want a good set of recovery tools, download an ISO image of the
LinuxCare bootable business card (http://www.linuxcare.com/bootable_cd)
and burn it on a CD. You then have at least a serious amount of tools to
help you in the repair.

++Jos

(on Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 02:27:57PM -0800 to be exact)

--
Success and happiness can not be pursued; it must ensue as the
unintended side-effect of one's personal dedication to a course greater