[linux-lvm] Very tricky new install of Linux (using LVM and Kernel 2.4)

Mark Phillips mark at ist.flinders.edu.au
Thu Oct 12 08:56:27 UTC 2000

Erik Bågfors [bagfors at pdc.kth.se] wrote:

> This is more or less what I did.  But you only need a small partition to
> install to.

Thanks for this!  I have since been thinking about a similar plan,
though I was thinking of perhaps initially installing the basic
installation on another drive and then copying it across to my new
drive (on LVM partitions).  That way I could have / under LVM as well
if I wanted.

I have a few questions:

1. What is a safe way of copying between partitions?  Ie is there a
risk of corruption?

2. How stable is LVM?  Is it worth having your / partition as a real
partition (not a LV) just for reliability sake?  I agree that having a
non LVM / partition makes things easier to boot up, but is this the
only concern, or are there other reasons for not making / LVM?

3. How much space did you give to /?  I'm not sure how much you would
need.  And what parts of the filesystem did you chose to put on LVM?

4. How did you deal with the 8Gig disk barrier (assuming you have a
disk bigger than this)?  Did you also have a /boot partition, or did
you just include this in your / partition?

5. Doesn't reiserfs have some stability problems and problems with nfs
and a few other issues?  Also do you need to patch the 2.4.0-test9
kernel in order to get reiserfs?  Is reiserfs going to make it into
the 2.4 kernel?

Thanks again for your help.  It was very informative.

Cheers,

Mark.

--