[linux-lvm] 2.2.17+LVM+online-ext2

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue Sep 26 04:41:35 UTC 2000

Scott Denton writes:
> Well, it appears I was falsely testing the online ext2 patch...
> apparently ext2online wants a loopback fs mounted on /dev/loopx
> instead of straight on a file (using losetup to create the loopx
> device), but oh well I needed to go to .17 anyway

Why do you say this?  I did almost all of my testing on a real block
device.  Unless you have a specially patched kernel, you can't resize
loop devices anyways - they cache the device/file size an creation
time and never update it.

Maybe some actual error output would be helpful in diagnosing your problems?

> Thanks for all the info.  Next stop: journaling (ext3/reiser)

While there are online resize patches for ext3, they aren't really
complete - I've been working on ext3 itself, but haven't been working
on the resize code itself.  Adding ext3 resize support needs changes
to the user tools, so I'm working on the next release of ext2resize.

Cheers, Andreas