[linux-lvm] Problem with UUID, vgscan, vgcfgrestore

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue Apr 3 21:36:20 UTC 2001

Diederick van Dijk writes:
> > My current system is on kernel 2.4.2 with LVM support build into the
> > kernel. So I booted with a 2.2.18 kernel with no LVM support what so ever
> > and the dd commands worked fine. Then I booted with the 2.4.2 kernel again
> > and did a vgscan and this worked too ! I checked the UUID's on the PV's
> > with pvdata -U /dev/hdxx and the UUID lists are now as they have to be. If
> > guess that LVM support in the kernel and dd were in conflict. To check that
> > I will boot with a 2.4.2 kernel without LVM support and try the dd dd
> > commands later on.
>
> Ok, I tested the dd commands with the 2.4.2 kernel without LVM support and
> had no success.

Strange.  I just tried (on a 2.4.2 kernel):

# dd if=/dev/hda2 bs=1 skip=44 count=128 of=/tmp/uuids
128+0 records in
128+0 records out
# dd of=/dev/hda2 bs=1 seek=44 count=128 if=/tmp/uuids
128+0 records in
128+0 records out

It worked with no problems.  Maybe there is something strange about the
version of dd that you have?  I have:

# dd --version
dd (GNU fileutils) 4.0.35

Can you try running "strace dd of=/dev/hda2 bs=1 seek=6144 if=/tmp/uuids"
and see where it gets the error from?

Cheers, Andreas