[linux-lvm] vgscan -- no volume groups found

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Wed Apr 4 20:35:07 UTC 2001

You write:
> Having successfully installed LVM on /dev/md0 (sd[ab]1) including root on
> LVM, I was finally ready to kill my online backup on /dev/hda6. I pvcreated
> it, vgextended it, and lvextended an lv that needed more room. When I
> rebooted, however, vgscan cannot find my vg. I am using kernel 2.4.2 and
> 0.9.1_beta5.
>
> I downloaded beta6 tools and created a separate initrd on another machine
> that gives me a bash prompt, but vgscan now complains of invalid i/o
> protocol v. 11. I did try the UUID trick found in the mailing list archives,
> and I have verified that both my PV's have the correct list of UUIDs in
> order, but beta5 vgscan still complains of no volume groups found.

Beta5 was a strange beast, and it is the only one with IOP 11.  You need
to run beta5 tools with a beta5 kernel.  Otherwise, you should run beta6
tools with beta6 kernel, or beta[234] tools with beta[2346] kernel.

I don't recall which problems were fixed beta5 -> beta6.  Is it possible
for you to get another kernel (beta6 preferrably) so you can run beta6
tools?

Cheers, Andreas