[linux-lvm] Re: [repost] Announce: Linux-OpenLVM mailing list

Miles Lane miles at megapathdsl.net
Thu Apr 19 21:52:59 UTC 2001

Alan Cox wrote:

>>As far as getting patches into the stock kernel, we've been sending patches
>>to Linus for over a month now, and none of them have made it in.  Maybe
>>someone has some pointers on how we get our code past his filters.
>>

> Has it occured to you that some of this might be because the code does stuff
> like hide flags in the low bits of addresses and do unchecked kmallocs ?
> Things people have tried to send patches for ..
>
> The best way to get stuff to Linus is to feed him changes one at a time and
> make them all clean and clearly correct. When I have a big set of changes I
> normally start by feeding Linus all the 'fluff' - spelling checks and small
> warning fixes. After that its normally easy to pick out changes one at a time
> and feed them on.
>
> Given 500 lines of mixed up diff it is very hard to verify the correctness of
> anything.

The IrDA folks have had a similar struggle.  AJ, perhaps it would be
helpful for you to read the discussion that took place regarding getting
a bunch of IrDA code merged into the 2.4 tree:

http://www.pasta.cs.uit.no/pipermail/linux-irda/2000-November/001923.html

Dag Brattli <dagb at fast.no> eventually had a discussion with Linus and
hashed out what he needed to do to get Linus to accept his big patch.
It all
worked out very well, IIRC.

	Miles