[linux-lvm] some comments on the LVM source

Andrew Clausen clausen at gnu.org
Mon Apr 30 23:06:03 UTC 2001

Hi,

I'm mainly looking at the userspace stuff here, because
that's what I'm interested in ;-)

Comments:
* liblvm.h is one monster file.  It would be nice to separate
it up into smaller pieces.  Say, one (or more!) files for
VG stuff, etc.

* the .c files are in one directory.  They should be split
into subdirectories... makes it easier to find stuff

* lots of monster functions.  Monster functions are harder to
understand and maintain.

I'll have a look at one function for you, so I can go a bit
more in depth:

lvm_add_dir_cache() in LVM/0.9.1_beta7/tools/lib/lvm_dir_cache.c

The function is about 50 lines, which is on the large side.

It is doing things on two layers of abstraction:
	* high layer: calling high level things like
	lvm_dir_cache_hit(),
	* lower layer: reallocating memory for the cache,
	updating lower level variables, etc.
It is usually a bad thing to do things.  The fact that the
function is also fairly large should have lead to a decision
to split it up, by putting the lower level stuff into (static)
helper functions.

The 4 layers of nesting also gives you a hint that you're
handling too many levels of abstraction ;-)

IMHO, the function should be roughly 10 lines, and the
lower level code taken out into helper functions.

Also, you have an inconsistent interface to lvm_dir_cache().
Most of the functions related to the lvm_dir_cache() are
named lvm_dir_cache_XXX(), but you have lvm_add_dir_cache().

Also, some functions ask for a "dircache" parameter, and others
just use the global variable (since there is exactly one
cache anyway).

Make up your mind!  In my example "cleaned version", I
chose to use the global variables.  I guess it doesn't
make a big difference (some ppl would argue global
variables evil blah blah blah...)

So, something along the lines of:

static int _dir_cache_init_entry (dir_cache_t *entry,
				  char *dev_name) {
	struct stat stat_b;

	if (stat (dev_name, &stat_b) == -1)
		return FALSE;
	if (lvm_check_dev (&stat_b, TRUE) == FALSE)
		return FALSE;

	entry->dev_name = strdup (dev_name);
	if (!entry->dev_name) {
		fprintf (stderr, "malloc error in %s [line %d]\n",
                         __FILE__, __LINE__);
		return FALSE;
	}
	entry->st_rdev = stat_b.st_rdev;
	entry->st_mode = stat_b.st_mode;
	return TRUE;
}

static int _dir_cache_set_size (int size) {
	dir_cache_t	*dir_cache_sav = dir_cache;

	dir_cache = realloc (dir_cache,
			     size * sizeof (dir_cache_t));
	if (dir_cache) {
		cache_size = size;
		return TRUE;
	} else {
		fprintf (stderr, "realloc error in %s [line %d]\n",
                         __FILE__, __LINE__);
		return FALSE;
	}
}

static int _dir_cache_set_entry (int num, dir_cache_t *entry) {
	memcpy (&dir_cache [num], entry, sizeof (dir_cache_t));
	return TRUE;
}

static int _dir_cache_append (dir_cache_t *entry) {
	if (_dir_cache_set_size (cache_size + 1) == FALSE)
		return FALSE;
	return _dir_cache_set_entry (cache_size - 1, entry);
}

int lvm_dir_cache_add (char *dev_name) {
	dir_cache_t	entry;

	if (_dir_cache_init_entry (&entry, dev_name) == FALSE)
		return FALSE;
	if (lvm_dir_cache_hit (entry.st_rdev) == FALSE)
		return _dir_cache_append (&entry);
	return TRUE;
}

/* below: need to change the lvm_dir_cache_hit() interface */

Obviously, a lot of this is personal preference.  But, I think
the code here is much easier to understand, because each function
operates on exactly one level of abstraction, and the style
is consistent (we never pass around the dir_cache and cache_size
variables... they are global).

Further things to improve;
* more error handling could be added (why does stat fail?
etc.)
* common error handling - you probably want to have a more
convienient how to report errors than fprintf (stderr, ...).
You might be interested in the exception system in libparted
(it's very very small ;-)
* function entry / exit messages could be done with macros:

#define ENTER_FUNCTION \
	debug_enter (__FUNCTION__ "() -- ENTERING\n");
#define LEAVE_FUNCTION(ret) \
	do {	\
		debug_leave (__FUNCTION__	\
			     "() -- LEAVING with ret: %d\n", ret); \