Re: [linux-lvm] Writing forward compatible applications using /proc

On 12 Aug 2001 13:54:02 +0000, José Luis Domingo López wrote:
> As far as I know, there are plans to remove much of the thingss that
> currently appear under /proc. It seems that only information about
> processes currently running will remain under /proc.
>
> Kernel parameters, system information, kernel variables and kernel
> tunables will probably disappear and will be replaced by some sort of
> user-space application that will allow query and modfication of kernel
> values and tunables. Something similar to Solaris' ndd, AFAIK.

This is sad.  The whole point of the filesystem under Unix is to provide
a unified namespace for all the system objects you might want to talk
about.

I can see adding a new filesystem for kernel parameters that's
completely seperate from /proc, but getting rid of the ability to have
access to them directly through the filesystem is a bad idea IMHO.

:-(,
--
The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
be properly armed.  -- Alexander Hamilton