[linux-lvm] Writing forward compatible applications using /proc

Ragnar Kjørstad lvm at ragnark.vestdata.no
Sun Aug 12 20:46:02 UTC 2001

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 10:21:39PM +0000, José Luis Domingo López wrote:
> > On 12 Aug 2001 13:54:02 +0000, José Luis Domingo López wrote:
> > > As far as I know, there are plans to remove much of the thingss that
> > > currently appear under /proc. It seems that only information about
> > > processes currently running will remain under /proc.
> > >

> Check this linux kernel mailing list for the (still scarce) details about
> "removing" kernel tunables from /proc:
> http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0105.3/1439.html
>
> To be precise, dicussion about modifying existing /proc starts here:
> http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0105.3/1469.html
>
> There were not much discussion about the subject, but it seems that in
> 2.5.x /proc will just hold information about running processes. The rest
> is still to be defined :)

If I'm not mistaken, the idea is to move everything not process related
from procfs to a dedicated sysfs.

I don't think it has ever been proposed to not have a fs interface to
the data, but some changes have been proposed:
* Some standard way of parsing the files (e.g. xml)
* One file pr value, rather than today's system where you have to parse
  the files
* Changing the directory layout.

--
Ragnar Kjorstad