[linux-lvm] Problem using lvreduce

Faux Pas III fauxpas at trellisinc.com
Wed Aug 15 23:50:08 UTC 2001

I have been having a problem removing a drive from a running
volume group.  I repeat this by creating a volume group from
/dev/sda, /dev/sdb (each 18gb), /dev/hde, and /dev/hdg (each
30gb).  I create an LV that spans all physical extents in
this group.  I then try to use lvreduce to take 4400 PE's out
of the group (slightly more than occupy either of the two
scsi drives).

Gryphon:~# lvreduce -l -4400 /dev/test_vg/test_lv
lvreduce -- WARNING: reducing active logical volume to 72.62 GB
lvreduce -- THIS MAY DESTROY YOUR DATA (filesystem etc.)
lvreduce -- do you really want to reduce "/dev/test_vg/test_lv"? [y/n]: y
lvreduce -- ERROR "pv_check_consistency_all_pv(): PE" volume group "test_vg" is inconsistent
lvreduce -- WARNING: you don't have an automatic backup of "test_vg"
lvreduce -- logical volume "/dev/test_vg/test_lv" successfully reduced

After this, all manner of badness ensues, including:

Gryphon:~# vgdisplay
vgdisplay -- ERROR: VGDA in kernel and lvmtab are NOT consistent; please run vgscan

In any event, I'm not able to pvmove or vgreduce to get the drive out of
the volume group as I would expect.   This is on 2.4.8 + LVM 1.0, and also
manifests on 2.4.7 + LVM 0.9.1beta8.  I can provide any other diagnostic
info that would be helpful, as I can reproduce this problem easily.

--
Josh Litherland (fauxpas at trellisinc.com)
 It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.