[linux-lvm] Problems with 1.0

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Fri Aug 17 09:58:36 UTC 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 10:55:35PM -0600, Tren Blackburn wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I had installed the 1.0 driver into my 2.4.8 kernel, and rebooted.
> Everything came up fine, so I installed the user tools and forgot about
> them...until I had to reboot this evening...Now the LVM tools are
> dynamically linked (Looking for libgcc_s.so.1)?  Or so it seems.  I am no
> a C programmer and don't fully understand how linking works, but it seems
> to me that the beta 8 tools were statically linked as they didn't need any
> external libraries, but the 1.0 user tools are dynamically linked.

libgcc_s.so.1 is new for GCC 3.0. gcc 2 statically linked libgcc. So it looks
like maybe you built beta8 with gcc 2 and 1.0 with gcc 3.

In any event, as Heinz says, libgcc.so.1 should be in /lib if gcc was correctly
installed - though if you are booting from an initrd it may not have found its
way onto that.

patrick