[linux-lvm] Ow.. not again (fwd)

elim elim at nutrot.ern-e.org
Tue Aug 21 11:08:13 UTC 2001

Here's a follow-up to my previous msg to the list (below)

I've been able to mount my lv's by doing this:

creating /etc/lvmtab with "vg_name" as the content
copying /etc/lvmconf/vg_name.conf to /etc/lvmtab.d/vg_name

then vgchange -ay

Credit goes to Ed Tomlinson for his msg here:
http://lists.sistina.com/pipermail/linux-lvm/2001-March/006518.html

However, doing a vgscan still barks errors.. and so does vgcfgbackup ;)

System would not boot into multiuser mode because the vg's would not come
up on boot. I had to manually run the above commands then mount them. Then
it was simply a matter of changing to multi-user runlevel.

Busily backing up data right now :)

When i restore.. I may not bother anymore with the lvm. I suppose you can
bitch at me for not being current with versions. There is a reason --
Never have I been so afeared of rebooting and messing with the lvm. In the
last year or so that I've been using it this is the 2nd plain old reboot
that has caused my vg's to lose their beans -- luckily I had a recent
system backup and rebuilt from scratch (thank god for ADSM). This time my
backups were stale so I was a bit more desperate to get these fs's
back. Two other occasions where the current LVM at the time refused to
work with the corresponding version of the user-tools -- causing great
grief and much cursing.