[linux-lvm] vgscan && vgchange -ay at startup

AJ Lewis lewis at sistina.com
Tue Aug 21 16:22:52 UTC 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 04:00:12PM +0200, Goetz Bock wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21 '01 at 17:53, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> > But how to have root mounted read-only?
> > I resolved problem with only one file that needs to be read-write --
> > it is /etc/mtab that I moved out to /var/run (modified glibc and
> this should be fixable with making /etc/mtab a link to /proc/mounts

I've done this on my system for about a month it seems to work fine.

> > mount itself).  So my root is now read-only at all times.  But how
> > to deal with lvm?  Should I move /etc/lvm* to /var also?
> The ideal solution would be to have LVM not write any files at all and
> do everything in memory. If I want to make a backup (e.g. when changing
> anything) either make the meta data journaling or save the backup to
> some where in /var
>
> just my Û0.02 (soon equal to $0.02, btw on my mac this is an euro sign)

Yeah, that's in the works for the development version of LVM, but the 1.0x
series will likely always have the files in /etc.  I agree that it is better
not to have it write files by default, or at least not rely on them being
written out.

> But, I won't complain. LVM rocks as it is and I'm happy with it.

:)

--
AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc.                  Voice:  612-638-0500
Minneapolis, MN 55414                  E-Mail: lewis at sistina.com
http://www.sistina.com

Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B  52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
 (Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)

-----Begin Obligatory Humorous Quote----------------------------------------
A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without bricks
tied to its head.