[linux-lvm] Pvmove question

Kevin M Corry corryk at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 27 13:46:33 UTC 2001

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:31:18AM +0200, Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I have a pvmove question:
> > In the man page, it's said to be careful with pvmove if you use it
while
> > LVM is in use.
> > I don't really understand what is dangerous and what is safe...
>
> pvmove on a mounted (or otherwise in use) LV might cause curruption of
> your data.

In what cases could pvmove cause corruption on a mounted LV? Looking
at the man page and scanning through pvmove.c, it seems to indicate
that only a system crash during pvmove would corrupt the data. Is
this the only case, or are there others?

If there are other possibilities for corruption, wouldn't it be a
good idea to not allow pvmove's on PV's that contain mounted LVs?
You can figure out all of the LVs that are contained within a PV
using the PE map, and there are a variety of ways in user-space to
determine if a device is mounted (/proc/mounts probably being the
easiest).

> > Could you give me details? Is it safe to do if no LV is mounted?

> >  Or if
> > vgchange -an is run?

> - Joe

-Kevin