[linux-lvm] A Caldera related bug?

Christoph Hellwig hch at caldera.de
Thu Aug 30 12:16:31 UTC 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 12:09:29PM +0100, Joe Thornber wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:46:13AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 03:23:21AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > > In the end, what is really needed is a well-defined LVM API between
> > > kernel and user-space that doesn't pass this kind of stuff.
> >
> > Completly agreed.
>
> I think every one is aware of this, but we can't change the interface during
> the 2.4 series.

Well, you change it all over the time..
IMHO replacing all these kernel types in the structures also used by the
tools to others that have the same size but do not depend on kernel headers
would be a very good thing for 1.0.2.

> If you're interested check out the LVM2 module and look
> at the code in driver/device-mapper (dm.h is a good intro).

Yes, this looks very promising.  Not for the near future, though.

	Christoph