[linux-lvm] Re: HELP changing md-device's partition-type to LVM

svetljo galia at st-peter.stw.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Aug 30 23:03:15 UTC 2001

Hi i couldn't change the partition's id of the RAID but i mannaged it to
create the VG, LV and to format the LV
but when i try to mount the the LV mount segfaults  and every try to do
anything with the LV finish witth a sleep
i mean when i try to mount anything ( a partition, a CD or a LV) after
the segfault of the first ' mount -t xfs /dev/myData/Music /mnt/music '
 mount goes to sleep and do not do anything
vgdisplay says that the volume is activ
lvremove says that the volume is open and can not be removed
do you have an idea wthat is the problem
and what can i try

the LV ( lvcreate -i3 -I4 -L26G -nMusic )

the VG -> myData   /dev/hdh10 /dev/md6 /dev/md7

/dev/hdh10 normal partition 14G
/dev/md6 ->  linear software RAID 14G /dev/hde6 /dev/hde12
/dev/md7 ->  linear software RAID 14G /dev/hdg1 /dev/hdg5 /dev/hdg6
/dev/hdg12

the reason:

after trying BeOS, FreeBSD and useing windows , i was trying to switch
complete to linux without having to repartiton all the drives( i have tree )
and lose about 30G of Data + and a new instalation ( the current Data
and instalation is over a software RAID-0 other a striped  LV's  or to
back up 30 Gigs of Data