[linux-lvm] Problem getting snapshots mounted for ext3 & resierfs on 2.4.17-xfs+lvm-1.0.1

Adrian Head ahead at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 26 20:56:02 UTC 2001

I'm starting to play around with LVM with the goal of having XFS, ext3,
reiserfs and LVM coexist nicely together.

Using the latest XFS CVS + the vfs-lock patch everything seemed fine except
if a snapshot ever got full it would oops the machine.  Because the LVM
version in the XFS CVS is 1.0.1-rc4(ish) I decided to generate the
appropriate 1.0.1 patch and recompile to see if this fixed the problem.

The order of patches was:
Standard 2.4.17-xfs CVS tree
+ VFS-lock patch
+ lvm-1.0.1 self generated patch
There were no rejects

The problem I have now is that I cannot mount the snapshot - I get the
standard "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock" etc..... error.  Has
anyone with the XFS CVS kernel ever come up against this before?  This mount
error occurs for ext3, reiserfs filesystems.  Snapshots on XFS volumes work
fine as long as they are done with xfs_freeze.

mount command I use for ext3 & resierfs is:
mount -o ro /dev/VG/LV_SNAP /mnt/snapshot

In /var/log/messages I have:
reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 3a:04) ...
clm-2076: device is readonly, unable to reply log
Replay Failure, unable to mount
reiserfs_read_super: unable to initialize journal space
EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem
EXT3-fs: write access unavailable, cannot proceed
EXT3-fs: lvm(58,4): could't mount because of unsupported optional features (4)

It appears that the VFS-lock patch is not doing its stuff.

This is on a RH7.2 base install using the SGI XFS CVS kernel (obtained
20011226)

Are there any tricks I should be using?  Any help appreciated.

2.4.17-xfs  with lvm-1.0.1-rc4(ish)
* When the snapshot became full - instead of nicely disabling it - it would
oops the kernel.
Using kdb it appeared that kswapd was where the problem occured.
A shorthand trace on kswapd gave:
lvm_snapshot_remap_block
lvm_map
lvm_make_request_fn