[linux-lvm] Maximum # of PEs Per PV

^chewie chewie at wookimus.net
Sat Feb 3 21:29:53 UTC 2001

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:34:35AM +0100, Holger Rauch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, ^chewie wrote:
>
> > Why didn't you just use the whole disk partitionless?  Zero out the
> > first 512b and do a pvcreate on /dev/hdf, /dev/hdg, /dev/hdh.
>
> Thanks a lot for this hint, but what's the advantage compared to creating
> a partition of type 8e?

I'm not a harddrive guru, so I'm not really qualified to give you a
technical reason other than, "Why waste 512 bytes?"  I like to
operate under the principle of Occam's Razor, or the principle of
simplicity.  It's latin and heady, but the way it is known to me is
this: "The simplest answer is most likey the correct one."

There are others on the list that may be able to give you a more heady
technical answer.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD