[linux-lvm] lvm buglet in 0.9.1_beta

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Thu Feb 8 18:38:42 UTC 2001

Patrick, you write:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 11:15:55AM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Sure you can run fdisk on just about anything, but you can't access the
> > partitions unless it is a partitioned device (i.e. the minor numbers
> > mean "look at a partition").
>
> I wasn't being entirely serious here, but the original bug report had
> a /proc/partitions file showing several minors attached to major 72 so
> it seemed reasonable to me that it was partitioned.

There is a problem, IMHO, that LVM assumes a partitioned device is the
same thing as a DOS partitioned device.  I'm sure that anyone using
BSD/Sun/SGI/etc disklabels can not use LVM for this reason.  The only
reason LVM does this is to check the partition type (not very important
IMO), otherwise we could just check /proc/partitions and be done, like
the #ifdef __alpha__ code.

> It would be nice to know if adding the entries into lvm_check_partitioned_dev
> did actually fix the problem.

I would like to know as well.

Cheers, Andreas