[linux-lvm] Installation question: SW RAID1 + LVM for boot and root

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Fri Feb 9 09:38:46 UTC 2001

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 09:39:49PM +0100, Luka Renko wrote:
> 1. Is it possible to install OS directly on SW RAID1 + LVM?
> If not, how to do it in multiple steps (RAID HOWTO just mentions how to
> install OS on SW RAID1, but not using LVM on top of SW RAID)?

not yet, i used an extra disk to install the system on, then cpio-ed
everything.

> 2. Are there any known problems on LVM over SW RAID1 (I have seen some bug
> reports on that)?

no, if you use the 0.9.1betaX

> 3. RAID HOWTO talks about slow read performance with RAID1 and that it
> should be improved in new patches to come? Is this still true? Do I need to
> apply any patches for that?

i believe the code in 2.4 is optimized (but you better look for mikka's
patch and see if it applies to you, i use raid5 so i dinna check).

> 4. I have also seen some discussion about issues with putting swap on SW
> RAID? Is this still true?

with 2.2 it is problematic and cannot be fixed, it has been fixed in 2.4

> 5. Should I create one or two (system, user) md devices? Is there any
> difference?
> What about multiple LVM VGs and PVs? It seems to me, that it does not make
> any real difference...

1 md device, 1 pv, 1 vg (no way out with only 2 disks)
i dunno if the latest lilo can see LVM-OVER-RAID1, if not
1 small md device for /boot
1 big md for lvm

> 6. What version of kernel (2.2 or 2.4) is better for such configuration?
> What version of SW RAID and LVM should I use? Are there any additional
> patches I should apply?

2.4 (sw raid is included, lvm patches from cvs)

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\
 \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN