[linux-lvm] q: BLOCK_SIZE

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Feb 27 18:36:02 UTC 2001

This is a repost, basically.  When I posted this question
for a first time (8 Dec 2000), noone answered, but there
was a way low traffic on this list that time...

Little question that I already posted here a long time ago.
What drawbacks can suffer if one changes BLOCK_SIZE in
include/linux/lvm.h from 1024 (or 4096 on S/390) to 512?
I can't understand from code what't a real purpose of
this constant, -- lvm seemed to work well with BLOCK_SIZE=512,
no troubles so far, -- but i'm still not shure if it is
"legal" to change that.  At least there is some purpose on
having different values for this constant on S/390 and other
platforms, -- again, can't see that purposes...

This is about using lvm with rawio -- on 2.2, rawio wan't
work with i/o size be not a multiple of blocksize, while
on 2.4 it works.  Or at least this was on Dec-2000.

Oh yes, this is about 2.2 kernel and lvm-0.9.

Thank you.

Regards,
 Michael.