Re: [linux-lvm] Possible to raise Max LV?

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 01:55:05PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Ragnar Kj_rstad writes:
> > What about increesing the [PE size] default, to say 32 MB?
> > 32 MB should be enough for everyone (because of the 2TB limit), and 16
> > MB waste on every PV isn't that bad.
>
> So says the guy from a company called "Big Storage" ;-).  However,
> I've seen several people who make multiple partitions on a single
> disk, and then turn these into PVs (don't ask me why), so they would
> be wasting 16MB per partition.  Most people will not need 2TB LVs for
> some time to come.  However, if your systems usually have large LVs,
> then it is OK for you to increase the default for your systems.

	I actually intend to for mine sometime later because it reduces
the fragmentation problem.  I know it shouldn't be that big a deal with
4M PEs, but with 32M PEs it'll be even less of a deal.  :-)

	I actually thinking of generally scaling my PEs to around 0.1%
of my total available space on the theory that allocation of finer
grained chunks than that is kinda silly.

	If I weren't working on some stuff of my own, I'd dive in and
see if I could write a defrag utility for LVM.  The part I'm not sure
how I'd handle would be striped LVs.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
be properly armed.  -- Alexander Hamilton