Re: [linux-lvm] [lvm 0.8 final] lvmcreate_initrd fails for me

Les,

I remember a similar problem from a different initrd: with such a small file system, there aren't enough inodes created to hold a large number of small files. For example, "/dev/*" files don't require much actual file system space, but a disproportionate number of file pointers are required. I believe this is controlled by reducing the bytes/inode setting in mke2fs (but I forget).

My lvmcreate_initrd says: "mke2fs -m0 -i 1024 $DEVRAM $INITRDSIZE"

The way to test this is to execute each of the commands in lvmcreate_initrd manually: when the error occurs, return to the point where "mke2fs" is run using a different value for "-i". You should at least see the error messages start on different files for each iteration.

Note that a lot of the commands used in lvmcreate_initrd pipe their error output to /dev/null. Don't do this during testing.

Also, are you sure your ramdisk size is 8MB? The default is 4MB: it needs to be set on the lilo command line or when configuring the current kernel. I think this is a mistake... since the initrd is not necessarily being built on the same system where it's going to be used, ramdisks should be avoided (since it may require rebooting if you're not already setup for 8MB ramdisks), using a loopback filesystem would be easier (if it's not currently part of the kernel, then the module can be loaded -- no reason to reboot).

Hope that helps,

Chris

Les Hazelton wrote:

I have been working on a problem with 0.8final - lvmcreate_initrd for
the past week or so - off and on.  The problem is that the step where
the files are copied to the ram disk fails for lack of space even though
the ram disk has about 7 meg free.

If I duplicate the commands from the command line I can create an 8 meg
ram disk and fill the full 8 meg.

My system is running Mandrake 7.2 and the kernel is the source
distributed by Mandrake kernel-2.2.17-21mdk patched with
lvm-0.8final-2.2.16TL.patch.

As far as I can tell, everything else is working correctly. I can extend
my reiserfs filesystems which are on LVs while they are on-line and in
use with no identified problems.  I just can't build a new initrd for a
new kernel compile.

I have attached a copy of the lvmcreate_initrd output and that of a df
command also.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to resolve this.

[root farpt1 /tmp]# lvmcreate_initrd

Logical Volume Manager 0.8 by Heinz Mauelshagen 11/11/1999

lvmcreate_initrd -- this script creates a LVM initial ram disk in /boot/initrd.gz

lvmcreate_initrd -- making ram filesystem
lvmcreate_initrd -- mounting ram filesystem
lvmcreate_initrd -- creating etc/conf.modules
lvmcreate_initrd -- creating new modules.dep
lvmcreate_initrd -- copying files to ram disk
find: /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk-01/block/lvm.o: No such file or directory
lvmcreate_initrd -- figuring out shared libraries
lvmcreate_initrd -- copying shared libraries to ram disk
strip: /tmp/mnt.1514/ram/lib/ld-linux.so.2: No such file or directory
strip: /tmp/mnt.1514/ram/lib/libc.so.6: No such file or directory
strip: /tmp/mnt.1514/ram/lib/libdl.so.2: No such file or directory
strip: /tmp/mnt.1514/ram/lib/libhistory.so.4.1: No such file or directory
strip: /tmp/mnt.1514/ram/lib/liblvm.so: No such file or directory
strip: /tmp/mnt.1514/ram/lib/libreadline.so.4.1: No such file or directory
strip: /tmp/mnt.1514/ram/lib/libtermcap.so.2: No such file or directory
lvmcreate_initrd -- creating linuxrc
lvmcreate_initrd -- ERROR creating linuxrc

[root farpt1 /tmp]# df -h
/dev/hda6             1.3G  1.2G   20M  98% /
/dev/hda1              45M  4.3M   39M  10% /boot
/dev/lvg01/home       1.0G  129M  895M  13% /home
/dev/lvg01/usr        2.0G  1.3G  753M  63% /usr
/dev/lvg01/src        700M  181M  519M  26% /usr/src
/dev/lvg01/local      1.0G  517M  507M  51% /usr/local
/dev/lvg01/var        300M  121M  179M  40% /var
/dev/ram1             7.0M  876k  6.1M  12% /tmp/mnt.1514/ram
wrk.txt

text/plain
7bit