[linux-lvm] Help: ERROR -154

lars.bensmann at epost.de lars.bensmann at epost.de
Sat Jan 13 20:41:32 UTC 2001

Hello,

when running vgscan I get the following error message:

vgscan -- ERROR -154: can't get data of volume group "part" from physical
volume(s)
vgscan -- ERROR -154 creating "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"

(I put a complete output of vgscan -d up for download under:
http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marc.O.Sandlus/vgscan_debug.gz)

This happened after rebooting the computer a couple of days after
shrinking a LV, renaming it and then creating a new LV with the name
of the old one. I don't know if this has anything to do with this,
but I haven't messed around with LVM otherwise and it ran just fine
for quite some time.

For me it looks like the is some internal counter wrong. I think
it triers to count the LVs and counts 8 somewhere and 9 somewhere
else (9 is the right number).

I'm using the latest Debian Package (0.8i) and I tried several
different kernels (2.2.18, 2.2.17 and 2.2.14).
And I tried it with 2.4.0-test12 and a self compiled 0.8final.

I always get the same results.

Looking forward to any help,
Lars