[linux-lvm] Re: [lvm-devel] Keeping swap in the middle of the disk

Nils Juergens nils at muon.de
Fri Jan 26 22:36:26 UTC 2001

On Fri, 26.01.01, Chris Wilson <cdw22 at hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:

[cut some stuff]

> > you should do it in 2 steps (filling the first two partitions, and then
> > moving on to the second partitions) so that you are sure the stripes
> > are across disks, instead of across partitions in the same disk.  I'm not
> > sure whether the LVM user tools check this (or even can).
>
> Okay, but as soon as I start deleting some of the data in the first 46gig
> and replacing it then we're back with the striping across two partitions
> on the same disk problem aren't we?

Yes and no. The harddisk has to seek to the beginning (or the general
direction), but this would have happend also if the filesystem was on
one partition. Note that LVM does not _stripe_ data unless instructed
to (lvcreate -i) but does "linear append" (well, not exactly) instead.

greetings,

Nils