[linux-lvm] Help recovering my volume groups

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Mon Jan 29 12:58:26 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 05:27:46PM -0500, Gregory McLean wrote:

> Hi,
>  I've been using the LVM quite happily for some time now, the other day
> one of the logical volumes in my volume group was getting full so I
> extended it, unmounted the fs, grew the fs, remounted it and went on my
> merry way. Today I got annoyed at the machine swapping constantly so I
> went and got some more mem to put in the machine, shutdown, install
> additional mem, powerup and:
>
>  vgscan
> vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
> vgscan -- no volume groups found

Are you running beta3 ? If not then an upgrade would be helpful.

If you are then we really need to find out what's happening here.
Do you have any snapshots defined ?

Can you do a pvdisplay on all the PVs and post the output, it might also
be helpful if you can dd if=/dev/hd?? of=pv-dump.txt bs=1024 count=4 and send
those four files too so we can see what has actually happened to the on-disk
metadata.

After than(but not before please!) you could try

vfcfgrestore mmedia /dev/hda7
vfcfgrestore mmedia /dev/hda8
vfcfgrestore mmedia /dev/hdb1
vfcfgrestore mmedia /dev/hdc1