[linux-lvm] Strtup probs !

tgs at iafrica.com tgs at iafrica.com
Tue Jul 17 11:26:50 UTC 2001

I had the same experience. The lvm-how to needs to be updated (changes in the
boot scripts for slackware). You going to have to change the rc.S file. I will
prepare a patch for this tonight and post on the mail list, as well email it to
you.

In the mean time I can explain the problem to you. Currently the rc.S in
slackware (I'm using version 8.0) does the following:
1. Mount to root partition as ro (read-only).
2. fsck all the filesystems in /etc/fstab. If one of them are a LVM partition
fsck can't talk to that  then it can't fsck that filesystem and exits with an
error - you then go into admin mode. In order for fsck to be able to check
those filesystem you have to activate the volumes (i.e. vgchange -ay). To the
problem is that you can only run vgchange -ya if the root partition is mounted
rw. So you have a chicken-egg situation here.

My solution is:
1. mount the root partition as read-only.
2. run fsck -a /
3. remount the root partition as read-write
4. run vgscan and vgchange -ay
5. run fsck -A -a -R     (will check all the fs but not the root, because it is
already been checked and mounted read-write)

I havnn't converted my root partition on a LVM yet. I don't intent to do that
not before I very sure that LVM 1.0 is released and stable.

I'm sure quota should work. I might be under correction but quota will work for
the filesystem, in your case /home is ext2 and should work.

Theo