Re: [linux-lvm] I/O error: dev 08:11, sector 0

On 2001-07-19 16:06:07, Heinz J. Mauelshagen wrote:

> as Patrick pointed out, I got the base wrong.
>
> Are you sure that the drive is dying?
>
> You might have one of those nasty SCSI cable length/termination/power problems
> causing this. Happens quite often after a configuration change on a SCSI bus.

The drive started complaining before any changes were made, I suppose the cable
could have gone bad (length, termination, power etc should be ok), but...

When does lvm create /dev/sdb1 (I only used /dev/sdb)?

The thing that I find fishy about the hardware problem idea is that (1) vgck did
not see anything wrong before the reboot and (2) I went through the exercise twice
(outlined earlier) and got the _same_ I/O error upon reboot.

Supporting evidence for (non-drive) hardware issues is of course that now my new
sdb drive appears effected in addition to sdc which reported media failures earlier.

I really appreciate the help, btw,

/Allan
--
Allan M. Wind			email: allanwind mediaone net
P.O. Box 2022			finger: awind digit-safe dyndns org (GPG/PGP)