Re: [linux-lvm] 2 LVM questions

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 04:34:15PM +0300, moka hol gr wrote:
> Hi there, new to LVM, so I would appreciate if you can
> point me to answers to these questions:
> 1) I have a system with 3 hard disks, and only one of
> them is presently used. This contains boot, root and
> swap plus a logical  partition(not LVM) containing
> /var and /home.
> I have big database tables, so I would like
>  to create one volume group consisting of the 2
>  unused disks plus the /var. Is this possible
>  without losing what is in /var?
> 2) The reason I need  a lot of space is that mysql
>   which I am using stores the database tables in /var.
>  Can I somehow "name" the volume group /var
>   so that mysql will not be confused?

	I would use pvcreate on your two disks, then vgcreate to bind
them together in a volume group.  A volume group is like a virtual disk
drive.  You have to 'partition' it.  This is what creating a 'logical'
volume us.  lvcreate is used for tihs.  You can create a logical volume
named whatever you want, but that name has nothing to do with where it's

	Now, supposing you created a volume group called 'MyOnlyVG' and
created a logical volume on it called 'LVMvar', you now need to do a
mkfs on that logical volume.

mkfs /dev/MyOnlyVG/LVMvar

	After you do this, you should move the contents of /var to your
new filesystem.

mount /dev/MyOnlyVG/LVMvar /mnt/tmp
cp -ax /var /mnt/tmp

	Now, you can try using your new logical volume as '/var'.  I
think you can do this by going to single user mode then doing:

unmount /var
mount /dev/MyOnlyVG/LVMvar /var
init 3  # Goes back to multi-user mode.  init 5 for graphical login

	If everything seems to work fine, your new var should be OK.

	Now you can run pvcreate on your old /var device, run vgextend
to add it to the MyOnlyVG volume group, lvextend to resize the
/dev/MyOnlyVG/LVMvar logical volume/virtual partition, and a file system
resize utility to modifiy the size of the /var filesystem.

Have fun (if at all possible),
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."  --- Thomas Jefferson
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."  -- Mark Twain
-- Eric Hopper (hopper omnifarious org  http://www.omnifarious.org/~hopper) --