[linux-lvm] Reiserfs, 2.4.7, snapshots w/ 0.9

Heinz J . Mauelshagen mauelshagen at sistina.com
Wed Jul 25 19:45:33 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 11:46:57AM -0400, Iain Campbell wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 July 2001 11:36, you wrote:
> > I'm using LVM on a couple of our production systems, and I'm very
> > happy with it.  It's been working very well for us.  However, we
> > have a very large database and backing it up has become problematic.
> >
> > So, naturally, I began looking into using LVM's snapshot feature.
> > The filesystem the database rests on is a reiserfs partition.
> > Creating the snapshot volume (acc to the directions in the howto)
> > works fine, but when I try to actually mount it I get:
> >
> > $ sudo mount -t reiserfs -oro /dev/main/db_backup /mnt/dbbackup
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/main/db_backup,
> >        or too many mounted file systems
> >
> > checking dmesg reveals:
> > reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 3a:04) ...
> > clm-2076: device is readonly, unable to replay log
> > Replay Failure, unable to mount
> > reiserfs_read_super: unable to initialize journal space
> >
> > Ok, so I did some searching and found some people back in the first
> > part of this year had a similar problems but none of the solutions
> > really applied to me fwict.  They all appeared to be using a
> > previous version of the kernel, or of the lvm code.  I looked through
> > the changelog and did see a few notations of fixes since 0.9 related
> > to the snapshot code.  But, I'm kind of wary about putting a beta
> > on my production systems with something this critical, w/out knowing
> > for sure that it will fix the problem.
> >
> > So, is the problem in lvm?  reiserfs?  Or is it just me?  Is there
> > any other information I can give that might be helpfull in figuring
> > out the problem?  Just let me know.
> >
> > TIA
>
> Quote from Teigland and Mauelshagens's Volume Manager whitepaper:
>
> "If a snapshot is simply taken of a file system volume, the resulting copy of
> the file system will look as if the system has crashed.  When the snapped
> file system is then mounted read only it would appear to need an fsck, in the
> case of a non journalled file system, or journal recovery in the case of  a
> journalled file system. These operations (fsck or journal replay) require
> writing to  the snapshot ligical volume, which is not allowed."
>
> There's more, get the whole thing from sistina.com/lvm. Look for
> vmil_freenix.pdf.
>
> Question to Heinz - what is the status of getting file system snapshot hooks
> into the kernel??

Have forwarded that to Chris Mason who created the VFS interface.

> iain

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen at Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446