[linux-lvm] Reiserfs, 2.4.7, snapshots w/ 0.9

José Luis Domingo López jdomingo at internautas.org
Wed Jul 25 23:57:47 UTC 2001

On Wednesday, 25 July 2001, at 21:44:51 +0200,
Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Chris Mason implemented an interface between the VFS and LVM, which is defined
> by 2 new functions VFS functions. They have to be supported in the filesystem
> itself in order to flush the journal and lock the filesystem for I/O, get
> back to LVM so that it can activate the prepared snapshot. LVM unlocks the
> filesystem after this.
> You pay a (small) I/O penalty for the journal flush.
>
> Because those functions are not in vanilla, you still need to patch the
> kernel with the linux-2.4.X-VFS-lock-patch contained in the LVM distribution :-(

Does it mean that, to support XFS snapshots you need to apply the patch ?.
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-07-11-011-20-NW-SW

This announcement says XFS 1.0.1 has "LVM snapshotting capability added",
but it says nothing about additional kernel patches required.

Could you clarify please ?.

--
José Luis Domingo López
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian GNU/Linux Potato (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org  => ¿ Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT   org  => Spam at your own risk