[linux-lvm] LILO configuration for LVM "boot" filesystem

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Thu Jun 7 15:30:36 UTC 2001

> Not only cool but sometimes necessary.  Sometimes root rides so close
> to full that you cannot upgrade.  Then you start doing the "diskspace
> shuffle" to get something you can upgrade.
>
> Without wasting a ton of space when you initially install a system,
> every system's root partition will hit the wall sooner or later.  That
> is the unfortunate side effect of software evolution.

Use separate mount points for /var, /usr & /home.  This keeps
root down to mainly /etc, /dev, /bin, /sbin and /lib -- none of
which is all that enormous.  Short of writing the File From Hell
to /tmp a 128MB root file system works well enough for me.  I do
put /usr & /opt on LVM but only because all the tools needed to
revive the system are in /bin, /sbin & /lvm on the root.

--
 Steven Lembark                                   2930 W. Palmer St.
                                                 Chicago, IL  60647