[linux-lvm] How can I my disk type to 0x8e?

Goetz Bock bock at blacknet.de
Tue Jun 5 17:45:56 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jun 05 '01 at 13:44, Leandro Sales - Estagiário GTI wrote:
> I'm a new user and I compiled LVM recently. I'd like to know I can I
> change my disk type to 0x8e... What does 0x8e type mean?
You must use fdisk to change the "type" of your partition, try
"man fdisk" for a start.
0x8e is the partitiontype reserved for Linux LVM (it's a "magic" number
between 0x01 and 0xff, that indecates how a partition on a disk should
be used, e.g. the file system type or the oprtation system using this
partition).

> If I change to 0x8e, will I have lost data? Please, help me ok?
No, but if you than do a pvcreate /dev/[hs]d?, the pysical volume header
will be written to the partition, this will, most likely, make any file
system that used to by on this partition (if any), VERY unhappy and you
most likely WILL lose everything, make a backup first.
Or better practise on a toy box with no (critical) data on it.

    Goetz.