[linux-lvm] RE: LVM and Lilo

Ben Lutgens blutgens at sistina.com
Tue Jun 19 21:39:40 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 07:00:45PM +0200, Adam Cioccarelli wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have made the initrd image, boot is mounted, everything works fine
>basically, just that I can't run lilo when my root partition is a logical
>volume... If I boot into my old non-lvm root installation I can change the
>lilo.conf on the root logical volume and do a lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf
>and it will work.

vgscan gets run from the the initrd so all the information that it writes
to /etc/lvm* and /proc (not sure where it goes exactly) get's lost when
you change root to your logical volume. This way, when you run lilo it
barfs because it can't find the logical volume. You should need to just
run vgscan before you run lilo and hopefully all will be well.