[linux-lvm] How to install/update on an existing system with reiserfs/lvm

Les Hazelton seawolf at attglobal.net
Mon Mar 5 22:38:59 UTC 2001

I am currently running Mandrake 7.2 with a 2.4.2 kernel and the
lvm-0.9.1-beta5 patch.

The system has one vg and several lv each containing a reiserfs
filesystem.  The only part of the system not reiserfs/lvm is /boot which
is on a small primary partition using ext2fs.

The system is running quite well and I am very pleased with the current
configuration. The problem I have, or will have, is related to a desire
to migrate to Mandrake 8.0 when the final version is released.

I don't expect to be able to boot directly from the CD and have my
filesystems recognized.  I think I will need to build an install/boot
disk with a replaced kernel that has support for reiserfs/lvm.

The problem is, I don't know how to build a boot disk with a replaced
kernel.  Can anyone help me with this?  I would appreciate any pointers
to how-to, web page or ... that explains the required steps.
--

Good Journey, longevity and prosperity to all

Les Hazelton