[linux-lvm] How to install/update on an existing system with reiserfs/lvm

Jason Walker unseen at sover.net
Tue Mar 6 08:02:51 UTC 2001

Greetings,

	Yes, I certainly see your dillema. One word: Bootdisk-HOWTO.  I have
been meaning to make a resque diskette, with LVM, reiserfs, and XFS (I
run them all) because with so much beta code on my box, it would just be
dumb not too :)  However, you will be facing an issue I have struggled with
before: you need an install disk.  I really don't know how to do that.
The best thing for you to do is to *somehow* get the .config for the kernel
they put on the diskette, then it's just a batter of enabling LVM, and
placing the LVM userspace tools on it.  I have a feeling that if it is not
a 2 disk boot set, it will be by the time you are finished. One disk for
the kernel, another for a compressed disk image.  the 2.4.x is a bit larger
than 2.2.x (just as 2.2.x was larger than 2.0.x) so getting anything but a
*minimum* root image on the same disk as a kernel is out of the question.
My 2.4.2 hovers around 1000k, and I am a fan of modules (XFS is about 150k
of that I *think*)
	Anyways, I hope this helps you. Feel free to contact me any time about
this, I would be happy to help.

RegEx