[linux-lvm] resizing a mounted ext2 file system?

IIRC, I have read somewhere of the possibility to resize a mounted
ext2 file system.  I think I will have to patch the kernel and the
resize2fs utility (or install a new utility) to be able to do it.

Can someone give me a URL or other pointer, where to find it?  How
stable is this?  And will this go into the mainstream kernel/e2fsprogs
in near future?

urs