[linux-lvm] Getting LVM to startup on RedHat

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Sun Mar 18 00:11:17 UTC 2001

> I've compiled kernel 2.2.17+LVM-0.9 patches on a RedHat 6.2 machine. If I
> run
>
> vgscan
> vgchange -ay
> mount /dev/malepages/data /data
>
> at a command prompt, all works well. However, if I include
>
> /usr/sbin/vgscan
> /usr/sbin/vgchange -ay
>
> (exactly as above) in my /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit the commands don't seem to
> be run at reboot. After the reboot, I can run the vgchange and mount
> commands without first doing a vgscan without incident.
>
> Any ideas what could be going on?

congenital defect in the lvm.  you might want to schedule it
post-boot in /etc/rc.d/rc1.d.  i've nearly given up on the
entire LVM due to the vgscan-at-startup requirement.  to
speed things up you can use

	( /usr/sbin/vgscan && /usr/sbin/vgchange -a -y ) &

to background the whole thing.  problem there is that you
will have problems mounting things -- can't use mount -a
to get them if lvm startup isn't in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
but probably don't want anything this tricky in there at
all.

other fix is to put the mounts directly into an lvm init.d
file and live with hard-coding them, write your own version
of /etc/fstab to mount the lvm's...  none of which are
very pretty.

--
 Steven Lembark                                   2930 W. Palmer St.
                                                 Chicago, IL  60647