[linux-lvm] Apparent performance degradation for each PV with striping

S. Michael Denton smdenton at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 19 13:34:09 UTC 2001

On Monday, 19 March 2001 02:07, Jason Walker [SMTP:unseen at sover.net]
wrote:

> I have 2 45gb IBM drives and a 3ware controller for them. I am just
> writing to second this e-mail in saying the controller is
> fantastic. in fact, my frined has the same exact setup as I do
> (he's not bold enough to LVM it...but I am working on that :) I
> have LVM'd the entire thing and have XFS on it all. Anyways, you
> can't go wrong with these cards. (just thought I would put my $.02
> in)
>
> Jason

I tend to agree.  In general software RAID will bog the system down
and if performance is key, you should take the load off the CPU
whereever possible.  The obvious conclusion with data volumes is to
use a hardware RAID controller, beit SCSI or IDE... I've used both
SCSI raid controllers and the IDE promise raid controller with good
results.  The other thing that may be killing your performance is IO
contention.  Check for other highly-used devices on the same PCI
bus... on PCs there are quite a few points of possible contention.

Just -my- 2 cents :)