[linux-lvm] safe to ru-run vgscan after mounting LV root?

Mark van Walraven markv at wave.co.nz
Tue Mar 27 14:14:21 UTC 2001

Hi All,

First, let me say how impressed I am with LVM.  I've just set up a 2.4.2
system with all filesystems in logical volumes, on an MD mirror.  I am
an experienced (i.e., "jaded") sysadmin, so please take my enthusiasm
as a truly singular occurrence.  Kudos to you.

Now for my question: The system above runs vgscan (and vgchange) from an
initrd before mounting the root filesystem.  After that, the /etc/lvmtab*
files and directories need to be refreshed from the initrd.  Instead of
keeping the initrd hanging around until then, could vgscan simply be
run again to recreate /etc/lvmtab*, even though PVs and LVs are active?

Thanks,

Mark.