[linux-lvm] LVM and fault tolerance

Ragnar Kjørstad lvm at ragnark.vestdata.no
Tue Mar 27 22:45:08 UTC 2001

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 12:29:01AM +0200, Anders Widman wrote:
> ok. great... so if I make say 20GB partitions on all disks and put them
> in a RAID-5 array. Can I add extra disks and rebuild the array? I have
> seen some expensive RAID cards that does that.

I don't really understand your question....

It usually doesn't make sense to split a disk in smaller partitions and
RAID them togheter. If the whole disk dies, you loose two partitions and
your whole RAID-array.

The software raid implementation in linux doesn't allow you to add more
disks to an existing array, but of course you can delete your array and
create a new one with more disks. Some hardware raid implementations
(and possible some software-raid implementations too) allow you to add
more drives without redoing the array.

--
Ragnar Kjørstad
Big Storage