[linux-lvm] vgchange -- ERROR: can't get name(s) of physical volumes

Jure Simsic jure at literal.si
Fri Mar 30 20:37:43 UTC 2001

Hi, I'm having problems booting my LVM systems.

at boot I get vgscan detect my VGs (eg. home and lvm-tmp), but then i
get vgchange -ay report the above message:

 vgchange -- ERROR: can't get name(s) of physical volumes
 vgchange -- ERROR: Please check, if /proc is mounted

And of course, the next step (fsck fail) boots me into single user mode.

pvdisplay -d -v /dev/hda2
ends with
<1> pv_get_size -- LEAVING with ret: -236
<1> lvm_error -- CALLED with: -236
<1> lvm_error -- LEAVING with: "pv_get_size(): lvm_dir_cache"
pvdisplay -- ERROR "pv_get_size(): lvm_dir_cache" getting size of
physical volume "/dev/hda2"

I'm enclosing a tar of various pvata and pvdisplay and stuff I could
think of. Also an interesting thing i noticed just now is when running
lvmdiskscan ( as I'm without my /usr partition, I don't have <man>, so I
just assume from the name what it does). The curious thing is, that the
only devices that the output mentions is /dev/hdc (by pv_get_size,
pv_check_name, lvm_check_chars, pv_check_part and so), which is in fact
my cdrom. No mention of any hda's or hdb's..I thon't know if that means
anything..
/dev/hdc is also mentioned in
lvdisplay -d -D /dev/home/home (output attached)..

I might be on the wrong track here though..

The basic question is, what to do to find out the cause and to get it up
and running again. I don't have any snapshots as I just reinstalled the
system and have still some partitions holding my old data (-> lack of
free disk)

The basic setup:
Linux 2.4.2
LVM-0.9.1_beta6
/dev/hda2 on /home - VG home (should be)
/dev/hdb3 on /usr - VG lvm-tmp (same) both having ext2
2 IDE disks (hda-2.5G, hdb-6Gb)

Help appreciated
Tnx

Jure