[linux-lvm] odd problem

Day, Evan Evan.Day at SUMMITSITE.COM
Tue May 1 22:48:28 UTC 2001

It sounds like the kernel patch revision doesn't match the revision of
the user-level tools - I saw these types of messages when running beta-7
tools with a stock 2.4.3 kernel.  Have you made sure the tools/libraries
on your initrd image are up to date?

-Evan

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Underwood [mailto:todd at osogrande.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 3:36 PM
To: linux-lvm at sistina.com
Subject: [linux-lvm] odd problem

folx,

i have 2.4.3 with beta-7 patches installed and beta-7 userland tools.  i'm
using lvm-initrd with a boot partition on /dev/hda2 and LVM root and other
filesystems on a few scsi disks.  all was working well but recently i
needed to reboot (i was unable to increase the size of my / with the
online ext2 tools and it was full--not sure what the error was there, or
whether that is relevant).

in any case, now i reboot and i get
lvm -- lvm_chr_ioctl:  unknown command 4004fe0a
vgchange -- volume group "rootvg" successfully activated

VGS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
change_root: old root has d_count=3
Trying to unmount old root ... <7>uhci.c: suspect_hd
okay

a bunch of other stuff

then:

Activating swap partitions swapon: /dev/rootvg/swap: Invalid argument
Setting hostname zapata.staff.osogrande.net execvp: No such file or
directory

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:  domainname: command not found

and so on.  looks like nothing's mounted.  the same kernel boots fine with
an older root fs on a 'real' partition.

any suggestions?

todd underwood
chief technology officer