[linux-lvm] Lost filesystems on LVs (forgot the attachment)

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue May 15 15:43:56 UTC 2001

Jean-Eric Cuendet writes:
> I have a BIG problem. I have an LVM VG of 160Gb. There is 3 LVs defined:
> - MS
> - Distrib
> - backups
> This morning, I made a e2fsadm to reduce the MS volume and grow the backup
> one.
> I umounted the MS volume, made the e2fsadm. All was OK, no error.
> I then umounted the backups LV and made the e2fsadm. e2fsck refused to work
> saying that there was no filesystem on it! All was OK, until I umount it!
> And now, I'm sticked with the backups LV with no filesystem (it was OK until
> this night, all backups were OK) and the MS LV with things that I don't
> understand (files that shouldn't be here...)
>
> I added in attach, the dump2fs and "cat /proc/lvm/global"

If dumpe2fs shows the superblock, then e2fsck should also work.  I assume
that you ran dumpe2fs AFTER the resize?  Is it possible e2fsck is
refusing to work on the backups LV because of the large_file flag set?
What version of e2fsck are you using?  You should update to 1.19 at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/e2fsprogs/

Cheers, Andreas