[linux-lvm] lvm deadlock with 2.4.x kernel?

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue May 15 22:49:25 UTC 2001

Tom Otake writes:
> Yes, I've been able to recreate the second hang scenario, though I have to
> admit it wasn't exactly the same.  I started the copy of the data, created a
> new LV, which worked.  I ran mkreiserfs on the new LV, it worked.  I removed
> the new LV, also worked, then ran pvscan.  That's when the system hung.  All
> the while, the copy from CD to disk was going on.

It may be that this is related to the ext3 problem that is ongoing.
Basically, if pvscan or vgscan (PV_FLUSH ioctl calling invalidate_buffers)
is run it causes buffers to go into an invalid state for the journal
code, and this breaks the journaling.  On ext3, there are assertions in
the code which detect the invalid state and case an oops (stack trace),
but this may not be the case with reiserfs.

Cheers, Andreas