[linux-lvm] How to read internal physical volume number.

I have a configuration with multiple paths to each pv, and need to sort
them out so I know which device names are alternate paths to the same
physical device. I had planned on using the internal serial number
written to the pv's  when a pvcreate is done.

The man pages for pvdisplay seem to indicate this is in the 4th field of
the output with the -c option, but alas, the -c option appears to not be
coded as it doesn't affect the output of the pvdisplay command. How else
can I get the internal serial number?
TIA