[linux-lvm] XFS and LVM

Harald Milz hmilz at linux-magazin.de
Wed May 23 12:45:38 UTC 2001

In article <200105231113.f4NBDLA21032 at jen.americas.sgi.com>, Steve Lord <lord at sgi.com> wrote:

> Shrinking is also a less used operation in production situations than growing,

This what IBM marketing as well always told me (when I was an IBMer) but it
turned out over time that I don't always buy a new disk when I need more
space, but try to clean up some leftovers and resize my partitioning. Then
it's nice if you can shrink. I mean you can always backup a filesystem,
delete it, create it smaller, and restore the backup. But that is
cumbersome and requires more scheduled downtime than desirable.

Does SGI have plans to eventually implement shrinking, or am I left with
the every so often heard marketing statement that I sure don't need it?

(SCNR)

--
Harald Milz           |     hm at linux-magazin.de     | "Our vision is to speed
Linux Magazin         | phone  +49 (0) 89 993411-20 | up time, eventually