[linux-lvm] Converting my Root file system to LVM

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Wed May 23 22:56:35 UTC 2001

Rupert writes:
> The expanding the LV & file system using e2fsadm is what I'm dithering
> about now.   I think it's necessary to umount the LV to change it's size
> (my e2fsadm is using the resize2fs util).  Since my current new root is
> already an LVM partition, I need some way of unmounting it, doing the
> LVM work on it, then remounting it.
>
> I think the miniroot ramdisk which Steve Wray pointed out is probably my
> answer. However I do wonder whether it's possible to do this another
> way?   The miniroot ramdisk is still a great idea that I will implement.

If you patch your kernel with the online ext2 patches, you can resize
your root partition while it is still mounted.  You will still need a
reboot to install the new kernel, however, but only the one time.  See

It still isn't a bad idea to have a small non-LVM partition on one of
your disks which has a kernel you can boot from, along with useful
tools in /lib and /sbin.  I guess miniroot is such a thing.

Cheers, Andreas