[linux-lvm] Raid5 sync problem

=?us-ascii?Q?Jos=E9_Luis_Domingo_L=F3pez?= jdomingo at internautas.org
Thu May 24 20:00:01 UTC 2001

On Thursday, 24 May 2001, at 11:04:27 -0600,
Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Kaj-Michael Lang writes:
> [...]
> This is the "RAID5 speed limit" which only kicks in if you have I/O to
> the volume while you are resyncing.  You can change a parameter somewhere
> in the RAID code which increases the minimum speed at which resync is
> done on active volumes (at the expense of performance for other apps).

Under 2.4.x there are two "tunnables" on /proc, namely:
/proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min
/proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max

Both are expressed in KB/s. The latter sets the maximun array
reconstruction speed for RAID-1,4,5 (taking available IO), and the former
sets the minimun "guaranteed" reconstruction speed.

At least on my 2.4.4, "minumun speed" is set to 100 KB/s, and "maximun
speed" equals 100000 KB/s, but it seems that array reconstruction always
operate at the minimun guaranteed speed, 100 KB/s.

So echo "5000" > /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min should help
determining whether this speed limit is causing the problems described.

--
José Luis Domingo López
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian GNU/Linux Potato (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org  => ¿ Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT   org  => Spam at your own risk